Wednesday 5 April 2017

2D - Inquiry

After looking at task 2D I decided to write about my teaching career as it is what I am hoping to progress into. I started my teaching at a high school about 6 weeks ago and I already feel that I have been on a massive learning curve. The amount of things I have come home and thought 'I didn't think that would work and it has' or 'today the students engaged really well, is there a reason why? what did I do differently'. Personally reflecting since beginning teaching has helped me realise the amount I feel I have learnt just in 6 weeks.
After reading Lauren Harpers blog I realised that it is nice to sometimes simply answer the question. Sometimes you gain more by being straight to the point. I found her blog really inspiring and it is something I am going to take note of for my future teaching.

What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more about? Who do you admire who also works with what makes you enthusiastic?The first thing that came to mind when reading this is my auntie, Adele. Watching her teach and being along side her makes me so enthusiastic. She taught me firstly when I was at school between year 7 and year 11. Already through them years I realised how much of a connection she makes with the students.
She still does this now and it makes me admire her. She gets the most out of every student that is
possible and she deals with each student differently depending on their needs. Speaking to some of the students that I now teach they have said to me that I am very similar. This is my intention anyway, I see how each day she is giving 100% and all the students admire her as I do. I believe that seeing an
enthusiastic teacher and seeing the students admire that is a massive inspiration. Finding a level with
the students so that they respect you and learn the best with you is something I have noticed teachers
can struggle with and yet my auntie makes it look easy. Each week I am learning from her and each
week I am growing with confidence
.
What gets you angry or sad? Who do you admire who shares your feelings or has found away to work around the sadness or anger? What gets me angry is some of the students family life. Although some people cannot help the type
home life they live I believe you can still give your child an upbringing so that they can make a
possible future for themselves. I admire the students that come to school everyday knowing that they
have to go home at the end of it and not have a nice time. Each child is different and have a different
up bringing but something my mum always taught me is 'manors don't cost anything'. I believe that
some parents do not handle there children in the correct way, they let the children disrespect them
and do what they want which then causes problems for teachers. If children don't have respect for
their parents then why will they have it for teachers? It gets me angry because as a teacher we always
try and get the best for every student and some of the students don't respect you and won't work for
you. Although this doesn't apply for every student that has had a less fortunate up bringing I do feel
that it is mostly them students that will cause the problem.

What do you love about what you do? Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love?The one thing I love about what I do is sharing my love for dance with others. I love sharing everything I know with the students. I love explaining to them why I love dance, why I love teaching and why dancing can be such a rewarded and also challenging career. I think it is important to be honest with the students, some of the year 11 students want to take dance as a career and I am always honest with them. I will always say it is possibly the most difficult industry but it is also the most rewarding to be able to have a career in something you are so passionate about.
I had a teacher whilst I was completing my diploma who I admire so much. Each day she would just
share with me her love for dancing. I connected with her massively and now we are close friends.
I found that having a teacher who is so passionate and had experience in the dancing industry helps you remember what you love about dancing even in the most difficult times.
She was also always honest with me, she told me that dancing is never going to be easy, but she also
said when you reach your goal it will be the best feeling ever.
Honesty was a big thing that she taught me and its something I have already taken forward into
teaching.


What do you feel you don’t understand? Who do you admire who does seem to understand it or who has found a way of making not understanding it interesting or beautiful, or has asked the same questions as you?What I don't understand is why doesn't a career always lead the way you expect it too. PersonallyI'm not sure anybody has the answer to that. All I know is when something worries me and I don'tunderstand it I turn to my best friend, Daisy. I think we both give each other the best advice when the other one needs it but fail to take our own good advice sometimes. Personally when ever I getworried about my career she reminds me of how far I have come and that if one career doesn't workout you are never to old to start again on your next career path. Ideally I wanted to be a dancer on a cruise ship and I went through a period of time not understanding why I wasn't where I intended to be? But getting advice from my friend always turns not understanding beautiful. Personally she always has the best words for me, she understands my every move and she supports me through it all. But, what I have found out even if I never will understand why my career hasn't lead the way I expected, is that as long as you are happy and moving forward that is all that matters. Daisy reminds me of this whenever I need it, she always finds the positive in me and always reminds me that if life was so simple it would be boring. So although there is no fully understanding of why things don't happen the way you expected it to, for me she turns it into a way that makes sense and a way that reminds you happiness isn't always what you think it is.


How do you decide the appropriate ethical response in a given situation? To what extent are disciplinary responses different to that you might expect more generally in society?For example, what level of physical contact would you deem appropriate (and not) from another professional that you would find unacceptable more generally? Why?From being in the dance studio from about 10 I have noticed that the disciplinary in the studio is
completely different to in school, or at work. I think depending on the person depends on how they
are dealt with in a situation. For example, you wouldn't go in shouting at a student that has a reputation of kicking off. That will just trigger the situation. Other students who are more scared of being in trouble you could shout at them as it is a reminder that you are the teacher and in control and not them. I try to decide how I deal with a student by learning what they are like before hand and overlooking a situation before jumping in. As I know that is not always possible, where it is I will use that. I think being a dancer, a student in a school, interviews for work, auditions, meeting new people are all ways I have learnt that you need to be different and deal with things differently depending on the environment around you. Using the skills from that and now taking it forward is how I have got my responses in the situations I am in.

Although in the questions above I have used only personal experiences I feel that was the best way to
complete this. Whilst answering the questions I have realised that I am who I am today because of
the support I have around me and because of the things close people have shared with me. I think it
is safe to say that I will become the teacher that I want to be because of all surroundings I have and
from learning from my inspirations.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kirsty
    Your comment about "honesty" is something I also value and live by. It is said in acting that we need to give a "truthful" performance. I believe that this applies to everything.
    I can also relate to the it's "never too late comment". I decided in my early 50's to take a different career path although still involving performance and I can honestly say I haven't looked back (well apart from reflectively of course!)

    ReplyDelete