Tuesday 4 April 2017

Skype with Paula

Yet again after another skype call with Paula, Jess and Emily today I have come away with my brain full of ideas and feeling clear on where I am heading with module 1 so far. 
We begun by discussing where about's we are up to with module 1 and how we are feeling so far. So for me I explained that finally I feel like I have found my feet and I am happy with my progression so far. As I read through Reader 3 last night a few things stood out to me which I didn't fully understand so instead of worrying I've let it settle and I am going to have another read through tonight. After each person talked about where they are in module 1 and how they are feeling we moved on to discussing some of reader 3.

One of our topics of discussion was:
How do you define your professional network?
I started by talking about how I personally define mine, which is making people remember you. In the performing arts industry I find a lot of the time it is 'not what you know but who you know'. I went on talking about how being connected to people and being involved and getting to know people will help you in the future. So in terms of a dancing job, if you have had a contract with somebody, been a good worker and helped them the best you can then likely in the future they will want to employ you again or pass your name on. I believe the industry is more word of mouth than some may think. As the discussion widened we also discussed teachers, friends, social media, the hustle and more. What I enjoyed about this topic is what I enjoy mostly about this course. It is not about being right or wrong but about having an opinion and having back up behind your theory. As long as that works for you and your professional practice then it doesn't matter if a peer disagree's.




Our next topic leading on:
What is professional networking?
This was a discussion that stuck out to me personally. Jessica pointed out that with professional networking you only do what is relevant to you. So in terms of applying for a job or networking with and employer you wouldn't do this unless the job is suitable for you. Professional networking can be different for everybody depending on their needs and their aims. Some of the key words we focused on and discussed were,
- Cooperation
- Communication 
- Connectivity
- Affiliation
- Communities of practice
- Social constructionism
- Relevancy 

Personally to me, professional networking is connecting with the people around you within the area of your industry and letting them know your profession, show them your best self, and networking to spread information on you to lead you to the job you believe you can achieve in your profession. So for me, at this moment in time I am volunteering on Thursdays in a school that my auntie works at. I spoke to her, she spoke to her manager who spoke to the head teacher and then it allowed me to volunteer. Since being there I have spoke to various teachers and discussed my aims and my career choice that I am working towards and already I am taking after school clubs and discussing doing part of my PGCE there. In my eyes I feel that is professional networking, I feel there has been a cycle and a passage of people in the profession to help me get where I had aimed to be by networking with them.

Further on we looked at a slide that said BAPP Arts that had several questions on it. 
How is it a network?
How is it sustained? 
Is it social media? 
How is it relevant to you? 

Again, I thinkt with the blogs from the BAPP arts you take away from them what you personally feel you need, although you may look and read others blogs at the end of it you get involved and use the blogs that are relevant to you at that time. Blogging is a network because we all connect together, we all discuss topics and we all share our information. I believe it is sustained because the teachers and students blog daily or weekly to share their theories and then we all connect by commenting on them and discussing our thoughts.
 I also think blogging is a social media, my reasons behind this is that on facebook we usually write how we feel, which we can do in a daily blog, on twitter you can read other peoples thoughts and latest topics and news, which we can also do on blogging and skype, and Instagram people post pictures which various people do when blogging to show evidence. I feel all of these reasons show that blogging and the BAPP arts are a social media and also I think can be helpful for students who are up to date with social media as they can be advanced with their skills and for the people with less skills they have a chance to widen theirs, because after all each day the technology of social media is only getting better and better.

Summary on module 1
At the end of the skype we talked about coming to the end of module 1 and how we would go about writing our essay. Paula gave us a few tips and explained that we should try and get the best information into the essay as it is 1000 words we don't have the space to write everything. We all had a few questions we had to ask and between us I think we then came away feeling clearer and more confident about this. 

Leaving the skype I feel that all questions were answered and that any worries I had were cleared. Skype calls sometimes just settles your mind when you are worried about little things. It also for me helps me to broaden my ideas as sometimes I feel I  can play it safe. For me they make me feel much at ease and give me that motivation to get going with my next tasks. 



1 comment:

  1. Your anecdote of how you go about networking is a realistic portrayal of how it works - being proactive and utilising people within your communities of practice can help you achieve of progress in your practice.
    Really insightful read!
    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete