Wednesday 27 September 2017

Reader 4 - Knowledge in the workplace

Whilst being involved in the BAPP course I am a part time dance teacher at a high school academy. After having a long think and a few discussions I have come to the conclusion that I work within a disciplinary context in the arts.  

What do I know?

Disciplines provide particular lenses or frameworks through which to explore, understand and act upon the world. (Kreber,2009)

At the school I have one focus which is dance. I do not take part in any other subject which therefore means my work is disciplinary. Although I understand that is what I am I also believe that I have some parts of inter-disciplinary involved when teaching. I used to be a self employed performer and also a teacher and from that experience I am aware of the subject I am teaching and also the importance of education.  

How do I know it?
I know this because of reader 4 explaining the different disciplinary's you can be. What has been interesting to learn is that without knowing before now I have been inter-disciplinary, transdisciplinary and also disciplinary, It is something that I would never of drawn attention to before but now having a wider understanding has made me think more about what I intend to be in the future.

'Disciplines provide particular lenses or framework through which to explore, understand and act upon the world.' 
(Sayers, 1948, in Burleigh, 1978)

The above quote from Sayers, 1948 explains to me about my disciplinary job. In my subject dance, I am to explore, understand and act upon to become the best teacher. I am disciplined to this subject and only this for the beginning of my career.


Competences and capabilities now and for the future.
 In brief, the intent of the competency movement is to identify and develop competences or behavioural characteristics of practitioners what are specific, observable, and verifiable.
(Raelin, 2008, pp. 43-44)

I agree with Raelin with the above statement. It is all something new for me but as a teacher this is something I am becoming aware of. I also understand that as a teacher in the future I need to be able to have the capability to deal with situations that are not expected. How I view this is, you can be a teacher and learn all the rules and know the basics, but to make a good teacher you need to expect the unexpected and explore everything that you can. Any knowledge known is a benefit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment