Thursday 1 February 2018

GCSE dance from a GCSE students point of view.

Reading up on this article for an interview I have in a few days and I have come across this article which seems to have so much in common with my proposal.

'A students view to why art subjects matter'
https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2016/jan/31/career-arts-gcse-dance-stop-the-stem-subject-snobbery

This article made me smile so much and remember my time in school whilst taking GCSE dance. It is mad how much I can relate and understand how it feels when yet another person says 'dance is easy' or 'why are you not taking a proper subject?'.
I have said it before and I will say it again. A GCSE is a GCSE no matter on the subject.

It is great to see a students point of view, and her peers point of view and parents all in one article.
It is clear that GCSE dance is as important to this student as any other GCSE she is taking.

The student says:
'To study arts subjects, you have to take risks, push yourself emotionally, expressively and creatively in every lesson, you have to persevere and be interpretive, passionate and collaborative. I’ve worked harder in these subjects than I’ve ever worked in my life'.

No matter what the subject be, if a student can be this passionate and work so hard towards a GCSE then nobody else should care what GCSE she will be receiving. Dance teaches people so much more than just how to move.

 I can't wait to see what type of feedback I receive off my own students once they have had interviews with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment