Wednesday 25 October 2017

Action: Lying. Is this right or wrong?

After reading the first section of reader 5 I am now thinking about the morals of lying in much deeper depth than ever before, questioning why do people lie? How do you know what is right or wrong? Or is it all dependant on the personal beliefs and upbringing?

In terms of my personal life, I am a consequentialist. I am a firm believer that lying is wrong for the bad reasons - telling a lie to make yourself look better to others, lying because you want to hurt someone, lying because you are scared to own up to something. These are examples that I think you should not lie. However, if you told a 'white lie' in order to stop hurting somebody, or because you believe that people will benefit from this then I do believe it is acceptable. I believe these because of my upbringing, my parents have always been very open and truthful to me, which meant that I learnt that from them and portayed the same back. As lying is part of ethics and morals I also believe that you get this from your parents, this is not always correct but it can have a massive impact on you. For example my parents are honest, they always told my lying is not acceptable and you must be kind. Other parents that can be rude and do not have manors this usually rubs off onto the children. This is not always correct but I do believe that your parents are the biggest impact on your morals, afterall they do teach you what is right and wrong from being born.

Thinking about my professional life I think I interpret my personal life into my professional life. Emily Richards blog made a clear sense of how she works in a professional way and I 100% agree with her:
Emily's post

I think you the way you are in your professional life shows a side of your personal life, you teach how you believe is the right and best way for your students, I go about in my personal life to how I believe is the correct way for me and how I think I will get the most from everything.
The problem I think about in your professional life and as a teacher is you are doing what you think is the best for the students but what if the parents do not agree with this. So I could tell a 'white lie' in order to gain the best from the class but what if the background they come from dissagrees with this?
Do we go off what we believe is right or do we have to be a Deontologist?
Whats everyone elses thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I believe I am of the same opinion as you when it comes to lying - I value honesty as an important integral part of ourselves. Being honest with people you care about most can sometimes be hurtful - but perhaps for the better. But I am also of the opinion that 'if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all'. If you are telling the truth to aid someone, even if it might be painful to hear, then it is a worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete