Monday 16 October 2017

Literature review - The arts are just as important as other subjects.

The arts are just as important as other subjects.

After coming across a report on an issue that is very close to my heart I have decided to review this. First of all I came across this because one of my questions from a previous blog was:
Does dance get as much credit as academic subjects? And does it deserve it?
The reason for this question is because of my own experience throughout my education. In high school I was always told not to put dance first, my teachers would explain that my other subjects were more important and needed more time than dance. But, my passion was dance so why is that not just as important? Anyway, throughout high school and up until now dancing has been my passion, and became the most important thing to me. I did do well in all my other subjects but for me, dancing was the one I wanted to achieve the most from.



Above is the link where you can read about how the government is trying to make GSCE dance equal to all other subjects. Some of the main points that stood out for me throughout the article that support my feelings towards dance are:

  • Dance and drama are now separate GCSE subjects which are classed to be worth of study in their own right.
  • Introducing arts to young people in every school rather than private schools and upper class families that can pay for the arts.
  • Explaining and providing support that shows dancing career paths can be as successful as any other career path. 


From this article a few more questions that have now come to mind are:

  • Since 2016 have the government and arts council had more support agreeing that dance is just as important as other subjects?
  • Are schools providing enough education and support for the students that are wanting a serious career in dance? If so, what is the support?
  • Since dance became a separate subject have more students took an interest in dance and become more inclined to take GCSE dance?

I have decided from here to now go an ask a few of these questions at my current work place and see what information I can gather from this. 

4 comments:

  1. hi Kirsty, I found this really interesting. I had never realised before that dance hadn't already been equal to all other subjects (It wasn't available for me as an option in my high school)
    I think it is also really good now that some ISTD exams now count towards university credits, which was also never the case when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,
      this wasn't something I had much knowledge on until futher research either. I agree it is great that they count as UCAS points because I also think that shows it is treated much more equal to other academic subjects.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kirsty. I agree with you on this that the arts isnt valued or recognised equally as core subjects- in the terms of developing a line of inquiry- it seems the questions you are asking all very assuming and support feelings and thoughts of what you already know 'because of my own experience' 'the article supports your feelings'. Have you manage to outsource any research that perhaps makes you questions these thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren, I came across this article because one of my past thoughts of inquiry. Since then I am thinking about looking into behaviour inquirys as I feel there is so much to read upon when talking about students in the classroom and their behaviour.

      Delete