Thursday 2 March 2017

First Day Teaching

Whilst being a student on the BAPP course I decided it was best for me to begin volunteering as a dance teacher at a school so that when I decide to do my PGCE I already have my experience and not everything will be new for me. 

Today was my first day at Droylsden Academy as a teacher and I can honestly say it was the best action I could have taken. I worked with year 7 students and year 10 students which helped me gain the most experience in one day and get comfortable in the school. In one of the lessons the students used the Web 2.0 for searching music and ideas for their pieces and I was able to help them with this and show them some of the sources I have been using recently.Throughout the day I noticed how my professional communication had also changed between the two groups. The older group were very understanding and driven and the younger group needed you to speak professionally to them to gain my respect.

Going back to task 1D (2D images) and my social media accounts I have now made everything more private than it already was as I do not want the students to find me on social media. This means now that because I have chosen to have my social accounts for personal use that it is my responsibility to hide this and block it from the students I am teaching.

Today I was asked also if I can attend a school trip to London on the 29th of march as a supervisor for the children. We are getting the train to London, exploring and going to see Wicked the musical. Straight away I said yes to this as I thought it is great to gain experience being responsible for the students outside the school. As well as this I have been asked each week to create an after school workshop which I will be paid for and this is something I have also said yes to. I want to be able to get to know the children in school and then help them out of school time to gain confidence and technique with their dancing to help towards their GCSE's.

Overall I have come away from today being excited to blog this, and very happy with the amount I feel I  have achieved in one day. I am looking forward to next week and hopefully will have some more experience and news that I will be able to blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment