Wednesday 1 March 2017

Task 1b: My initial thoughts

Since reading Module 1 and Reader 1 my thoughts have been constantly changing, my views are being widened and my opinions keep coming. To make sure I included my main thoughts I decided to write down some of the reasons that stood out to me in the notes I made. 

O’reilly “What is Web 2.0” completely took me by shock. Using the web daily for social media and the odd bits of information I never really understood the debts that we can gain from using this.
‘You can reach out to the edges and not just the centre, to the long tail and not just to the head’
When I read the above quote I straight away stopped and began to realise how much Web 2.0 is used. As Jessica stokes said in one of her blogs ‘Everything is at our fingertips’. All of this is so true. Each day the web is evolving and we are able to learn more and be involved each time.
Collective intelligence is how I feel that the Web 2.0 is becoming massively popular, in fact I reckon most people could not go 24 hours without needing it for at least one thing. This is something that makes me think about the people that do not have access or the ability to use Web 2.0. The elderly or the less fortunate can end up missing out on the world moving forward just because they do not have access to the web. I do believe that although the world is moving forward we still need to keep some things less technical because after all we are all equal so surely nobody should miss out? In terms of thinking professionally this is where I think about an audition being posted online. The dancing industry is mainly running by social media, the latest videos and the new clothing range or the next audition will be posted online but what about the people that cannot access this. This is where I believe it should still be posted via paper or on a poster as well as online.


“If we don’t have the instruments in which we can participate, then are we unable or unwilling to participate in something” Hamilton (2000) 


Some of the amazing things about Web 2.0 is that it is allowing all communities to come together as equals. Social media now can be used to communicate with the people we choose. For me now blogging has been so helpful for me since beginning the BAPP course. I am able to widen my knowledge and give opinions on another person’s perspective and thoughts on the same topic as mine. Not only this but each individual is learning from another. In terms of the professional communication you can now find everything online within seconds of searching. For example: Auditions, Showreels, Application forms, Videos, and news. These are major parts in which all help each of us in the dancing industry. It is now quicker and easier to apply for a job, so instead of having to print application forms and send them off you can now email them over to a person within minutes. And you can find out about auditions from the internet, by ‘following’ people instead of waiting for word and mouth or looking out for every poster at your next dance class. It also has many advantages to make myself known in the industry. I now am able to have my Showreel online, I can use my social networks for professional reasons and speak to employers via social media instead of email or mail.

The thing that sticks in my mind that I mentioned in my previous post is time. Time is something that makes me worry if I will miss something, or if I am up to date with the latest audition or dancers post in the hustle. As a worker as well as being in the dancing industry I struggle to find the time to make sure I am with everything on social media and sometimes jobs can be posted online and it can be first come first serve basis in terms of auditioning or getting the job. I suppose this is something I am getting used to and freeing myself time each day to check these and be aware of updates as the web is only moving forward and evolving more.

Another thought of mine is how well the web has helped me communicate professionally since beginning the BAPP course. First of all, the skype session, around 8 people attended this at the same time and were able to have a group discussion on the Web 2.0 and from each person I gained more knowledge and also allowed to give opinions to the group. After this I also decided to find some of the students on social media, I wanted to get to know them personally as well as professionally. I feel as blogging can help us learn from each other so can being able to communicate with others via social media within minutes.


I do feel that Web 2.0 something that each day will teach me something new and that with blogging being a massive part of this learning curve I will continue to grow to love it. It is something that I feel is endless, although I will never be able to learn everything, everything is accessible at any time and without it the world would be less communicated and educated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment